TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE / LEGAL STATEMENT
IMPORTANT! Please carefully read the following terms and conditions (“Terms”) governing your use (including access, browsing and/or use of any interactive features) of those portions of the CHANEL website accessible at www.chanel.com, as well as and including any other CHANEL websites or web pages accessible through the CHANEL website or other promotional websites CHANEL hosts or sponsors such as minisites or pages on third party social networking services, directed at consumers in the United Kingdom, including those portions of the CHANEL website accessible by going to www.chanel.com and selecting “languages” and then your country in the appropriate region (collectively the “Sites”).
Use of the Sites is subject to these legally binding Terms and constitutes your agreement to be bound by and to act in accordance with these Terms. We reserve the right to change the Terms at any time. Any such changes will be posted on the Sites and you agree to be bound by such changes.
The CHANEL companies worldwide (“CHANEL”) own all right, title and interest in and to the Sites and/or own the content and applications on the Sites (including on social network websites).
CHANEL owns all copyrights for all material on the Sites or has a valid right from a third party to use the material on the Sites. CHANEL also owns all trademarks, service marks, trade names, logos and domain names used on or in connection with the Sites or has a valid right from a third party to use any such material. Any modification or use of the materials from the Sites for any purpose not explicitly permitted is a violation of CHANEL's copyright and other proprietary rights.
No part of the Sites may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any manner whatsoever, except for viewing purposes, without the prior written consent of CHANEL. This prohibition also includes framing any content from the Sites, as well as unauthorized linking.
Use of and browsing in the Sites are at your own risk. Neither CHANEL nor any party representing or otherwise affiliated with CHANEL in creating or presenting the Sites are liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, incidental, exemplary or consequential damages arising out of your use of the Sites. To the extent permitted by law and without limiting any of the foregoing, everything on the Sites is provided to you on as “as is” basis, without warranty, either express or implied, of any kind, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantabilty, fitness for a specific purpose, freedom from computer virus, or non-infringement. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, the above limitations may not apply to you. Please check your local laws.
Prices displayed on the Chanel website are shown in pounds sterling (£), or in Euros (€) if you are in the Republic of Ireland, and unless otherwise indicated, include appropriate Value Added Tax (VAT) at the rate prevailing when the website was last up-dated.
Prices shown are Recommended Retail Price (RRP), inclusive of VAT. As such, they are provided for indicative purposes only, have no contractual value, and are subject to change without notice.
The retail prices at Chanel’s Watch and Fine Jewellery Boutiques would normally correspond to the RRP (inclusive of VAT). Any RRP prices given on this website for Watches and Fine Jewellery correspond to a size “no. 52” or “Medium” accordingly, smaller or larger sizes may have a different RRP.
CHANEL is not responsible for third party websites that link to or from the Sites. CHANEL does not endorse any such sites or the goods or services offered on such sites. CHANEL disclaims all responsibility for the accuracy of any of the information provided on such linked sites and any goods or services provided or purchased from such sites. CHANEL shall not be held liable or responsible for the content of any sites that link to or from the Sites.
CHANEL takes reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of the information included in the Sites. However, CHANEL takes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the content of the Sites and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of information provided on the Sites. Information provided on the Sites is subject to change at any time without prior notice.
The failure on the part of CHANEL to enforce any part of these Terms shall not constitute a waiver of any of CHANEL's rights hereunder for past or future actions.
Any dispute over the content or use of the Sites shall be governed by the substantive laws of the United Kingdom, and the jurisdiction and venue of any such action shall be vested solely in the courts of the United Kingdom.
CHANEL may change these Terms at any time by posting changes on the Sites. Any changes are effective immediately upon posting. The continued use of the Sites constitutes your agreement to any revised Terms.
The Sites are not intended to provide any medical information about the skin or otherwise.
BY USING THE SITES, YOU SIGNIFY YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEMENT TO COMPLY WITH THE TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE.
LAST UPDATED: November 2016
© CHANEL, 2016 All Rights Reserved
CHANEL highly cares about your privacy and data protection.
We are committed to offering the highest standards of products and services. Thus, we value each of our existing or prospective client and aim at maintaining appropriate protection of your personal data (“Data”).
CHANEL has implemented a robust data protection compliance program, which includes the adoption of the high-standard data protection principles of the applicable data protection laws at a global level and in particular the:
a. conclusion of an Intra Group Data Transfer Agreement (“IGTA”), which are based on the EU Standard Contractual Clauses. They should ensure the same level of protection by all CHANEL entities and allow transfers of Data within CHANEL’s organization globally;
b. creation of a Data Protection Office and a network of local data protection contacts;
c. adoption of internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable data protection laws and regulations;
d. implementation of appropriate technical and organizational measures to implement the data protection principles.
The CHANEL Platforms and related data processing are operated / carried out by or on behalf of the respective CHANEL entity (“CHANEL” or “we”) as set out . Such CHANEL entity may further share information with its affiliates in accordance with the safeguards foreseen in this policy (see Section 5 below). Any online sales on the e-commerce section of the website are made by the respective CHANEL entity as set out in the applicable Terms of Sales.
If you want to contact CHANEL or its Global Data Protection Office, please see under “10. How to contact CHANEL for privacy queries” below.
The specific type and scope of Data we collect about you depend on your activity on, and interaction with, the Platforms (e.g., whether you only browse through our Platforms or purchase a product or subscribe to our marketing communication) as well as the country in which you use the Platforms. The following Data may be collected through our Platforms :
a) Information collected when you use the CHANEL Platforms for informative purposes only
- Information relating to your website use (“Log Data”) :
When you use our Platforms for informative purposes only (e.g., you do not register on, purchase via or otherwise submit your Data through the website), your internet browser automatically collects, and transfers to us, certain basic information relating to your website use. Such Log Data may include :
- your browser type and version,
- your operating system and interface,
- used device,
- language preference,
- the website from which you are visiting us (referrer URL),
- webpage(s) you are visiting on our Platforms,
- date and time of your visit,
- part of your internet protocol (IP) address,
- your actions taken on the Platforms, and
- the name of your access provider.
- Information processed by external social media providers (“Social Media Data”):
Our Platforms contain share buttons that enable you to share CHANEL content with your friends through third party media platforms and /or social networks (such as Facebook and Instagram, “External Platforms”). The mere use of our Platforms does generally not involve data processing activities (including data transfers) in relation to the External Platforms. However, when you use the share button, these External Platforms may collect and otherwise process personal data about you.
For more information about the scope and purposes of the data processed by the External Platform provider, including your rights and setting option to protect your privacy, please see the privacy notice of the respective External Platform provider.
- Information processed through cookies (“Cookie Data”) :
- Information on parties to fight counterfeiting (“Anti-Counterfeit Data”) :
In order to fight against counterfeiting and infringement, CHANEL has set up automated processes to collect information on companies or individuals who commit or are likely to commit acts that violate our rights in the context of the Platforms. This information will be accessible to any company legally authorized to use the CHANEL trademarks that has been a victim of such violations, for the purpose of taking action or any necessary measures to protect their rights. We collect the following Anti-Counterfeit Data :
- identification information
- postal address
- information related to any electronic means used for counterfeit activities
- judiciary information related to proceedings
Some Data are collected from public sources (such as third parties websites).
b) Information collected when you purchase a CHANEL product (“Purchase Data”)
If you purchase a CHANEL product through our Platforms, we will collect Data through the purchase form to process the purchase order.
If you purchase a CHANEL product through your account (see Section c) below), we additionally process your purchase history.
c) Information collected when you create an account on the Platform (“Account Data”)
If you create an account on the Platform to be able to order faster, track your order, create and keep your wishlist and / or receive exclusive news about CHANEL products (if requested), we will collect Account Data through the account creation form.
d) Information collected when you subscribe to the CHANEL newsletter or other marketing communication (“Marketing Data”)
If you subscribe to our newsletter or other marketing communication via the Platforms in order to receive information on CHANEL collections, products, campaigns, shows and other events, we will collect Marketing Data through the Newsletter subscription form.
e) Information collected when you otherwise interact with us via the Platforms (“Request Data”)
- The Platforms enable you or facilitate to get in touch with us, including to exercise your rights under Section 8 (as applicable), or share your opinion on CHANEL products and services in many other ways than described above, e.g., via e-mail, telephone, letter or a data subject access request. The collection of Data depends on how you interact with us and what information you provide us with. If you contact us via the contact us form available on the Platforms, we collect the following Data :
- area of interest,
- topic/ purpose of the contact,
- title / gender,
- name (first name and surname),
- email address,
- further Data you share on a voluntary basis (e.g. postal address, phone number, your concern), and
- the content of your query or responses to surveys and questionnaires provided to us.
- If you contact us to exercise your data subject rights (as applicable), we usually collect the following Data, depending on how you address the data subject rights request :
- type of relationship with CHANEL (e.g., customer, employee or other),
- name (first name and surname),
- type of request (e.g. rectification or deletion request),
- contact details,
- country of residence,
- further request details necessary to process your request (e.g. identification details), and
- the content of your request provided to us.
If you make a service request (e.g., repair order, booking or warranty claim), we may collect the following Data :
- title / gender,
- name (first name and surname),
- contact details,
- product purchased,
- date of purchase, and
- further details relevant to address your request.
- The website CHANEL.com offers click-to-chat and click-to-call functionalities.
Click-to-chat enables you to start a live chat with, and enjoy real-time support by our customer service. You can contact our customer service via live chat either as a guest or as a registered customer. In the latter case, the customer service may have access to certain portions of your Account Data in order to process and answer your request, such as:
- your name,
- contact details.
Click-to-call allows you to request a callback through the Platforms. If you request a callback, we collect:
- your phone number, and
- your preferred time for the callback.
f) Information collected when you apply for a job at CHANEL or its affiliates (“Applicant Data”)
If you apply for a job at CHANEL or its affiliates via the Platforms, we collect the following Data relating to your application:
- title / gender,
- name (first name and surname),
- country and city of residence,
- postal address,
- email address,
- phone number,
- educational level,
- spoken languages,
- work experience,
- further CV information,
- your preferred entry date, and
- further Data you may submit.
Important General Notice : When we collect personal data through forms, including but not limited to electronic forms, we will indicate the mandatory fields via asterisks. Failure to provide the data marked with an asterisk could prevent you from accessing our products and / or services. While submitting any Data, including multimedia content (photographs, videos etc.), please ensure it is accurate and do not transmit any sensitive Data such as health information, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, information on your sex life or sexual orientation, racial or ethnic origin, nor any content which is not expressly requested through a questionnaire or any other collection method (such as commercial information, advertising, personal creations, ideas, or concepts), unless this is required in exceptional cases (e.g. to report allergies).
Our website does not specifically focus on minors. If we should nevertheless inadvertently collect such information, the minor's legal representative can exercise the minor’s rights on his/her behalf and on his/her name at any time (see below).
If you are an existing or prospective client of, or if you apply for a job at CHANEL or otherwise interact with CHANEL via the Platforms, we may use your Data for the following purposes (“Processing Purposes”) :
- enable you to browse through our Platforms and to use your personal online account (“Platform-related Purposes),
- enable you to obtain information on our products and services from our Customer Care Center, in our “Contact us” section for instance (“Request-related Purposes”),
- enable you to purchase CHANEL products through our Platforms, in our CHANEL boutiques and other points of sale (“Purchase-related Purposes”),
- enable you to access CHANEL services in our CHANEL boutiques and other points of sale, or on our Platforms – for instance, to book an appointment or to create a CHANEL product wish list (“Service-related Purposes”),
- enable you to access our extensive after-sales care services on our CHANEL products (“After Sales-related Purposes”)
- respect our legal obligations, including inter alia cosmetics regulations, the fight against money laundering, credit card fraud, the fight against counterfeit and processing your data subject rights requests (“Regulatory-related Purposes”),
- collect your opinion on our CHANEL products and services, in particular via surveys and questionnaires (“Product Improvement-related Purposes”),
- establish statistics, financial and commercial studies (“Studies-related Purposes”),
- keep you informed about our latest collections, products, campaigns, shows and other events by sending you our CHANEL communications (by electronic mail, by post or via your phone: calls, chat, SMS and MMS and third-party media platforms; “Marketing-related Purposes”),
- improve our understanding of your interests and preferences so that we can deliver personalized offers and other services that would correspond better to your needs and wishes (“Preference-related Purposes”),
- process your application, including checking open positions via internal and external experts in the case of job applicants as well as maintain an applicant pool in order to be able to match future positions with potential candidates (“Application-related Purposes”).
Each processing of your Data is legally based on your consent, the necessity to carry out a contract with you, a legal obligation and / or our overriding legitimate interest depending on the purpose of the processing.
Details of the legal basis justifying the data processing are set out .
Within the CHANEL Organization. To the extent permitted by law and taking into account the protection of your rights and freedoms in respect of the processing of your Data, your Data will only be accessible to a limited and defined number of recipients within the global CHANEL entities (“CHANEL Organization”) as further described below. Such Data access will strictly take place on a “need to know” basis in order for the recipients to fulfill the Processing Purposes in their capacity as data controllers. We may transfer your Data to another legal entity for the purposes of a collaboration, joint venture, corporate reorganization, change of legal form or other similar event. In case of a merger or sale, your Data will be permanently transferred to the successor company. Anti-Counterfeit Data will be accessible to any company legally authorized to use the CHANEL trademarks that has been a victim of such violations, for the purpose of taking action or any necessary measures to protect their rights. You can find a list of the relevant CHANEL entities .
If you are an existing or prospective client of CHANEL or otherwise interact with CHANEL via the Platforms (except by way of a job application), only the CHANEL employees within the CHANEL Organization that are working within the teams that need to have your information (for example, Customer Relationship Management, Commercial Management, Legal, Compliance and IT) will access your Data.
Third Parties outside of the CHANEL Organization. We may in limited cases transfer your Data to governmental agencies and regulators (e.g. tax authorities), courts, and government authorities, all in accordance with applicable law and to external advisors (e.g., lawyers, accountants, auditors etc.), all acting as controllers. In this context CHANEL may also have to transfer your Data to third parties when it receives a request by an authority empowered by law to do so, pursuant to applicable laws and regulations. If you apply for a job through the Platforms, the CHANEL entity receiving your application (see Section 2) may forward your application to external recruitment firms as necessary.
Service providers (within and outside CHANEL) : Your Data will generally not be disclosed to recipients outside the CHANEL Organization. In some cases, however, CHANEL makes use of external service providers acting on behalf of CHANEL on the basis of contractual arrangements which will include strict data protection obligations. We will in particular provide your Data to service providers or suppliers (this may include other CHANEL group companies) as part of our normal business operations to carry out certain IT-related tasks and who assist us in operating our Platforms, conducting our business, servicing you or protecting the security and integrity of our business (including IT maintenance, security and support service provider, hosting provider, payment provider, marketing and advertising partners, mailing or emailing services or customer care center).
Data disclosure as set out in Section 5 above may involve a transfer of your Data to countries that do not provide the same level of data protection. Applicable legal and regulatory requirements are taken into consideration before any cross border transfer of your Data.
- Any Data transfers outside your country that do not provide an adequate level of data protection will be secured through appropriate contractual guarantees which will also be in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as EU Standard Contractual Clauses;
- Data transfers among CHANEL entities will ultimately be covered by the IGTA.
- The transfer of Data may also be based on your prior consent. Please note that, if you are an EU or UK citizen, such a transfer may include possible risks if the country where your data is transferred to has not been recognized by EU or UK authorities as granting sufficient data protection level (absence of an adequacy decision) and appropriate safeguards.
You may receive relevant portions of the aforementioned documents upon request as required by applicable law.
Your Data generally (other than Applicant Data) :
Alongside the commitment to offering the highest standards of services and products, we consider that our products should entitle you to personalized client treatment and incomparable after-sales services that may last for a lifetime for some products. For this purpose, and to ensure such services, we may need to keep your personal data for as long as it is needed for the provision of such services. Your Purchase Data will be retained until your last use or purchase of our services or goods as required or permitted by applicable local law or where we have a legitimate and lawful purpose to do so and in any case.
For any product sold on our website, we may keep your data for as long as it is necessary to comply with applicable legislation regarding product guarantee and safety and in order to follow up with you on the results of the product and offer you continuous advice. Your further Data will be retained as long as required by applicable local law or to the extent we have a legitimate and lawful purpose to do so. Please note that the storage period provided by legislation may vary per country.
Applicant Data :
We welcome and value applications from talented candidates. Subject to your consent, we may keep your Data on file for up to 2 years following your last visit to our candidate space and contact you if another appropriate opportunity arises if your previous application on the “Careers” section of our Platforms is not successful. In case you choose not to be contacted for future opportunities, your Data will be kept for up to 6 months after the end of the respective application process, unless shorter or longer retention is permitted or required by applicable local law.
You may have the following rights to the extent and as provided by the law applicable to you which you can exercise through the contact details provided in Section 10) :
- A right of access and information : you have the right to be informed in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible form of the way in which your Data is processed. You also have the right to obtain (i) confirmation as to whether or not Data concerning you are being processed, and, where that is the case (ii) to access such Data and obtain a copy thereof.
- A right to rectification : you have the right to obtain the rectification of your Data. You also have the right to have incomplete Data completed.
- A right to erasure : in some cases, you have the right to obtain the erasure of your Data. However, this is not an absolute right and CHANEL may have legal or legitimate grounds for keeping such Data.
- A right to restriction of processing : in some cases, you have the right to obtain restriction of the processing of your Data.
- A right to data portability : you have the right to receive your Data which you have provided to CHANEL, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and you have the right to transmit those Data to another controller without hindrance from CHANEL. This right only applies when the processing of your Data is based on your consent or on a contract and such processing is carried out by automated means.
- A right to object to processing : you have the right to object to processing of your Data when such processing is based on the legitimate interest of CHANEL. CHANEL may, however, invoke compelling legitimate grounds for continued processing. You also have the right to object at any time to the processing of your Data for marketing purposesous.
To unsubscribe from our “Newsletter” you may also use the above channels or simply by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each Newsletter.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority.
Cookies are pieces of information that any website or other Platforms may transfer to your browser that are then stored in your computer system. For example, the deposit of cookies enhances your online experience by allowing us to save your preferences.
When you use the Platforms, we send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your device. We use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits of our Platforms. Your web browser may provide you with some options regarding cookies. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies, you may not be able to utilize the features of the services provided via the Platforms to their fullest potential. We use third party cookies in connection with the services provided via the Platforms as well. For instance, we use Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. We do not process or respond to web browsers' "do not track" signals or other similar transmissions that indicate a request to disable online tracking of users who visit our Platforms or use the services provided via our Platforms.
- personalize our Platforms and the services provided via our Platforms, such as remembering your Data so that you will not have to re-enter it during your use of, or the next time you use, our Platforms and the services provided via our Platforms;
- provide customized advertisements, content, and information adapted to your profile;
- monitor and analyze the effectiveness of our Platforms and the services provided via our Platforms and third-party marketing activities adapted to your profile;
- monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and
- track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities offered through our Platforms and the services provided via our Platforms (services adapted to your profile). For example, this may help us to monitor rates of emails opened. Tracking technology also helps us manage and improve the usability of the Platforms, (i) detecting whether there has been any contact between your computer and us in the past and (ii) to identify the most popular sections of the Platforms.
We may also collect your shortened IP address on a non-readable basis, which does not allow us to directly identify you.
Depending on the local version of the Platform you are using, this link may provide you additional information about the cookies used by Chanel as well as specific consent settings if you do not wish CHANEL to use all or part of the above-mentioned third party cookies.
You may also disable the installation of “cookies” by configuring your browser appropriately. For more information, please click .
Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact your user experience and may prevent you from using parts of our Platforms or services.
To exercise your rights please send your request to our Customer Service Department as indicate below and communicate the following information: name, surname, e-mail and any other information necessary to confirm your identity in order for us to process the request (such as your postal address).
- by mail: Chanel Limited1 Bruton street, London W1J6TL, Attn: head of Data Privacy
- by email: email@example.com;
- by addressing it to our CHANEL boutiques or other points of sale.
Please click to access all local contact numbers or exercise your rights.
For any Applicant Data for your application to our “Careers” section, please click to access all local contact email addresses.
Global Data Protection Office
1 Bruton street, London W1J6TL
Attn: head of Data Privacy By email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Depending on the country version of the Platform you are using, the above mentioned General Provisions applicable to your personal information may be subject to local specific rules. To know more about any specific rules applicable to you, please select the related country below :
If you visit the website chanel.cn operated by CHANEL (China) Co., Ltd., the following applies :
By using our website you consent to the processing activities described herein.
If you visit our website while being in Russia, or if you are a Russian citizen purchasing CHANEL products via our website / app to be shipped to Russia, or if you are a Russian citizen applying for a job position at CHANEL in Russia, the following applies :
Our processing of your personal data is based on your consent provided via our website, apps or other digital platforms, or otherwise, unless Russian personal data law allows us to process your personal data based on other applicable legal justifications. Any transfers of your personal data to third parties to, within and outside Russia will be based on your consent and on the relevant data transfer agreements or clauses ensuring that the receiving party maintains confidentiality and security of your data and is bound by the purposes of data processing specified in this Policy, unless Russian personal data law allows us to transfer your personal data to third parties based on other applicable legal justifications. We take necessary organizational and technical measures to ensure security of your personal data. These measures include the appointment of an officer responsible for organizing the processing of personal data, adoption of internal regulations on the processing of personal data, implementation of internal controls and/or audits of the compliance of personal data processing with applicable legislation, assessment of damage that may be incurred by data subjects in the event of a violation of personal data processing and security requirements provided by applicable legislation, and the correlation of such damage with data security measures taken by us.
1.1 Welcome to our CHANEL web site www.chanel.com/en_GB/ (the CHANEL Online Boutique or the Site), the Site from which you can purchase CHANEL branded fragrance and beauty products (the Product). The Products sold on the CHANEL Online Boutique will be provided to you by Chanel Limited (CHANEL, We, Our, Us). Chanel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under registration number 00203669. Our registered address is 5 Barlow Place, London, W1J 6DG and Our VAT number is GB217856541.
1.2 For any questions relating to the use of the Site, an Order or CHANEL please contact Our Client Service team which can be reached from Monday - Friday from 10am – 6pm on the following number 0800 028 5005 free of charge. This service can also be accessed on the CHANEL Online Boutique or by email at the following address: Online.email@example.com.
2.1 Acceptance of Terms
These terms and conditions (Terms) are the terms on which We sell the Products to you. Please read these Terms carefully before ordering any Products. You should keep a copy of these Terms for future reference. Click here to print or download them. We will also file a copy of any Orders made by you on the CHANEL Online Boutique.
These Terms may be changed from time to time where it is necessary for us to do so for legal or regulatory reasons. The Terms applicable to any Order from the Site are those that you agree to when placing your Order. These can be accessed from the Order confirmation email We will send you once you have placed your Order.
These Terms are only available in the English language.
2.2 The ordering process and order confirmations
Your Order constitutes an offer to Us to buy the Product. All Orders are subject to availability and to acceptance by Us. We will send you an email acknowledging receipt of your Order. Please note that this does not constitute acceptance by Us. The contract for purchase of the Product is formed when We send you an email confirming your Order.
If a Product you wish to purchase is no longer available We will inform you by telephone or via email as soon as possible. Where this is the case, you will not be charged for the Product and you will be given the option to request that We inform you of the future availability of the Product via email.
3.1 Registration, passwords and security
When you place an Order on the Site, you will have the option to check-out as a guest or to create a client account (“Client Account”). Setting up a Client Account is an easy process and you simply need to complete your details in the My Account section of the Site.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Client Account password and user name and are responsible for all activities that are carried out under them. We do not have the means to check the identities of people using the Site and will not be responsible for losses suffered by you where your password or user name is used by someone else unless this is due to Our negligence. You agree to notify Us immediately by email to Online.firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone on 0800 028 5005 if you become aware of or suspect any unauthorised use of your Client Account.
3.2 Your promises to Us
You confirm that:
- 3.2.1 you are over 16;
- 3.2.2 all information and details provided by you to Us (including on creating a Client Account) are true, accurate and up to date in all respects and at all times. You can update or correct your personal details at any time by amending your Client Account details at www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/services/login.
- 3.2.3 you are the holder of a valid credit or debit card.
You agree that in using the Site you will not:
- 3.2.4 use the Site for any unlawful purpose;
- 3.2.5 access or attempt to access the accounts of other users or to penetrate or attempt to penetrate the Site’s security measures; or
- 3.2.6 use the Site and any Product you purchase on it for any purpose other than your personal use. This means that We limit the number of items of a single Product you order to four (4) and the total number of Products purchased in one Order to twelve (12) Products and that you should not resell any Products.
3.3 We reserve the right to suspend, restrict or terminate your access to the Site at any time without notice if We have reasonable grounds to believe you have breached any of these restrictions. This shall not limit Our right to take any other action against you that We consider appropriate to defend Our rights or those of any other person.
3.4 Intellectual Property
- 3.4.1 CHANEL and its affiliated Chanel companies (collectively The Chanel Companies) own all intellectual property rights in the Products, the Site as a whole and its content, including but not limited to all copyright, design and trade mark rights in names, logos, designs, texts, data compilations, graphics, audio clips, films, photographs, animations, illustrations, drawings, software and computer codes (“Content”), or have been granted all necessary licences to use the same.
- 3.4.2 Use of the Site and its Contents grants you no rights in relation to the intellectual property in the Site. Subject to paragraph 3.3.3, you may not copy, reproduce, duplicate, modify, edit, republish, download, post, broadcast, record, transmit, sell, exploit, or distribute any part of the Site or its Content without Our prior written consent.
- 3.4.3 Subject to these Terms, We grant you a non-exclusive and revocable licence to use the Site for personal use only. Such licence does not permit you to use the Site for commercial use and/or purposes, When you use the Share function on the Site in order to share information from the Site via social media platforms (such as Facebook and Twitter), you acknowledge and agree that you will be sharing this content solely for personal use and/or purposes.
- 3.4.4 Your use of the Site and/or its Content must not in any way cause damage to the Site and its ability to function (including but not limited through the use of data gathering and extraction tools) nor prejudice or damage the reputation of The Chanel Companies or the Products.
- 3.4.5 The purchase by you of the Products from the Site does not entitle you to alter the nature of or repurpose the Product and resell the same. The resale of repurposed or altered Product may infringe the rights of CHANEL.
- 3.4.6 Use of Our intellectual property other than that permitted under this paragraph 3.3 may infringe The Chanel Companies’ rights in the Site and We reserve on Our own behalf and that of The Chanel Companies’ the right to take any appropriate legal actions to protect such rights.
3.5 Links to and from other Websites
- 3.5.1 You may link to pages on the Site where you wish to reference CHANEL products or content. However, if We request you to remove such links to the Site, you must do so immediately. If you fail to remove the links to the Site as requested by Us, we may block your link.
- 3.5.2 Other third party websites may provide links to the CHANEL Online Boutique from time to time. You acknowledge that:
- 126.96.36.199 these websites are not under Our control and We therefore cannot exercise any control over the content of such website;
- 188.8.131.52 the inclusion of a link to the Site does not imply any endorsement of the material contained in such websites nor any association with their operators on Our part;
- 184.108.40.206 We will not be party to any transaction or contract with a third party that you may enter into via such sites; and
- 220.127.116.11 you agree that you will not involve Us in any dispute between you and the third party.
3.6 Gift Message
We provide a complimentary, gift message facility on all Orders, which is available for your own personal and strictly non-commercial use. You are entirely responsible for the text and other content of your gift message to any third party and We accept no liability for any such content. If you choose to use the facility, you agree that your message will not contain any materials which may be interpreted as abusive, racist, obscene, defamatory, offensive, harassing, threatening, vulgar or which could cause distress or embarrassment to any person. You agree not to impersonate any person, including but not limited to any of our employees or customers.
Your message cannot exceed 200 characters and must not contain any material in which a third party owns the intellectual property rights (including but not limited to music lyrics in which copyright subsists).
Your message cannot be changed once your Order is placed. We have the right to refuse to send messages and to terminate access to the gift message service at any time and without liability to you. The gift message facility is currently only available in the English language.
4.1 The price of a Product is the price stated on the Site at the time you place your order except in the case of obvious error. We try and ensure that all prices on Our Site are accurate but errors may occur. If We discover an error in the price of a Product you have ordered before formation of a contract between Us in accordance with paragraph 2.2 of these Terms We will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your Order at the correct price or cancelling it. If you cancel, no payment will be taken from your card.
4.2 Prices on the Site are displayed in GBP (£) and are inclusive of UK Value Added Tax. Delivery charges are not included in the Product price. The total cost of your Order is the price of the Products ordered plus the applicable delivery charges depending on the delivery option you select (the charges are as set out in the Delivery Costs section of the Site). We will let you know the total cost of your Order (including delivery charges based on the delivery option you have selected) prior to your placing of the Order.
4.3 Please note that Product prices may change over time and the prices payable are those on the CHANEL Online Boutique at the time of Order. If you have opted to create a Client Account, the prices displayed on the Orders page within the “My Account” section of the Site will be the price paid by you at the time of that particular Order being placed. Reordering a Product at a later date may therefore present a different price for the same Product at the checkout and, where the Terms have been changed as described in paragraph 2.1, may be subject to different Terms.
4.4 We accept payment credit card and debit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Maestro, American Express, Union Pay, JCB and Diners Club). We also accept payment via PayPal and Apple Pay.
4.5 We have set up a secure payment system for all Orders made on the CHANEL Online Boutique. Payments are made on an external platform via the payment provider Adyen and comply with PCI DSS security standards. Payment will be debited from your account at the time of or shortly before despatch of the Product to you. If you are paying via your PayPal account, you agree that you are responsible for payment for all Orders placed using your PayPal account username and password. If you are paying via your Apple Pay account, you agree that you are responsible for payment for all Orders placed using your Apple Pay passcode.
4.6 By placing your Order and making an offer to buy a Product, you authorise us to transmit information (including any updated information) or to obtain information about you from third parties from time to time and this may include verification checks involving your debit or credit card number or credit reports in order to authenticate your identity; to validate your credit card; to obtain an initial credit card authorisation; to protect you and us from fraud; and to enable us to arrange delivery of your Order to your nominated delivery address.
4.7 We will send you a copy of your invoice as an attachment to the Order confirmation email We send. In addition, where you have opted to create a Client Account, you will have the option to download your invoice from the ‘My Account’ section under My Orders.
4.8 You confirm that the credit/debit card being used is yours. All credit/debit card holders are subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. Such validation checks may include Us calling you to verify that the credit/debit card belongs to You. If the issuer of your card refuses to authorise payment or we cannot verify your identity within 48 hours of contacting you, We will not accept your Order and We will not be responsible for any delay or non-delivery. We shall inform you of such non-acceptance by email. We are not obliged to inform you of the reason for the refusal.
4.9 We are not responsible for your card issuer or bank charging you as a result of Our processing of your credit/debit card payment in accordance with your order.
Each Order will be accompanied by samples of Our Products so that you can further explore the range of Products available on the Site. You will have the opportunity to express a preference as to which samples you wish to receive before placing your Order. Samples are however subject to availability and it may be necessary for Us to substitute your first choice of sample with an alternative which We hope will equally delight you.
5.1 Les Exclusifs sampling tool
The CHANEL Online Boutique offers you a sampling tool to help you determine which Exclusif de CHANEL is the one for you (“Sampling Tool”). You are eligible to apply for one 1.5ml Les Exclusifs sample using the Sampling Tool. Les Exclusifs samples are subject to availability.
The complimentary Les Exclusifs sample will be sent to the postal address provided by you as long as such delivery address is within mainland UK only (excluding The Channel Islands, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland). We are also not able to make deliveries to PO Boxes.
Receipt of a Les Exclusifs sample is non-transferable and there is no substitute or cash alternative. Resale of any Les Exclusifs samples is strictly prohibited.
Requests made via the Sampling Tool by any non-Chanel approved Internet web site or email address, including but not limited to commercial competitions, subscription, notification and/or sampling sites, will be not be accepted. The use of any device to automate the process of the Sampling Tool is strictly prohibited.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to reject a request for a Les Exclusifs sample, without liability, if We determine that a request does not comply with these Terms.
6.1 We accept Orders for delivery to mainland UK and Northern Ireland only (excluding The Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland). We are also not able to make deliveries to PO Boxes.
6.2 Products will be dispatched by DPD unless you specify an alternative delivery option. Standard and nominated day deliveries are guaranteed within a 1 hour delivery slot (excluding Sundays and holidays) by DPD.
Delivery Costs. Prices shown on the Website do not include delivery. Our Delivery Costs and options are as follows:
Unless otherwise advertised, complimentary Standard delivery is only offered on any Order greater than or equal to fifty GBP (£50). The Next Day Click & Collect service is also complimentary. The delivery costs are added to the total price of the Order at the Checkout.
6.3 Subject to successful verification checks of your credit/debit card and identity in accordance with paragraph 4.8 above, We shall do Our best to dispatch the Product to you as soon as possible after you place your Order, and in accordance with the delivery option you have selected when placing your Order. In any event we shall dispatch your Order not more than 3 working days beginning on the day We confirm your Order. If We are unable to dispatch the Product within that time We will email you to let you know and to give you an estimated delivery date. In these circumstances you have the right to cancel the Order and receive a full refund.
6.4 You shall be informed by email/text when the parcel has been processed by DPD. You will have the option to change the date of delivery and nominate a person to take delivery of the Product on your behalf (within a limit of three (3) working days from the original scheduled delivery date).
In the event that you (or a person identified by you to take delivery of the Product on your behalf) are not available at the time of delivery, you will be contacted by DPD via SMS or e-mail to schedule a new delivery slot. Wherever possible, a notice will also be left at your address that delivery of your Order has been attempted.
6.5 As soon as the Product is delivered to you (or a person identified by you to take delivery of the Product on your behalf), you are responsible for it.
6.6 When collecting a Click & Collect order from your chosen boutique, you will be required to present the CHANEL confirmation email sent to you when your order is ready to collect. If you are not able to present this email you will not be permitted to collect your order.
You are able to nominate a person to collect your order on your behalf. They will also be required to present the CHANEL confirmation email sent to you when your order is ready to collect
6.7 We want you to be happy with your purchase from Us. If you are unhappy with the Product or Order delivered in any way please contact Our Client Service at Online.email@example.com, or 0800 028 5005 as soon as possible.
6.8 Please note that We are only able to investigate problems relating to your delivery with DPD for up to 14 days following your delivery. Failure to contact us within this period of time, may result in us being unable to verify your complaint.
7.1 Before dispatch.
If you wish to change or cancel your Order prior to the Product(s) having been dispatched you can either select the “cancel” option within the CHANEL Online Boutique ‘My Account’ section or call Our Client Services team on 0800 028 5005 / Online.firstname.lastname@example.org, with your Order number, to discuss what practical options are available to you. In the event that your Order has already been dispatched, please return your Order once received in accordance with Our Returns Policy below.
7.2 After dispatch.
We hope that you will be delighted with your order. However, if you wish to return the Product(s), you have the right to return your Order within 28 days without giving any reason, even if the Product is not defective. This right is subject to certain conditions as set out below:
- 7.2.1 Your cancellation period will expire 30 days after the day on which you (or a person indicated by you to take delivery, other than the carrier) take delivery of the Products. If your Order is delivered in multiple lots, the 30 days will start counting from the day on which you (or a person indicated by you to take delivery, other than the carrier) takes delivery of the final Products. For example, if you receive your (final) Product on the 1st of the month then your cancellation period will end on the 30th of that month.
- 7.2.2 You must inform Us of your decision to cancel your Order by a clear statement prior to the end of the cancellation period. You may inform us by any of the methods below, however it will help Us to process your refund more quickly if you use Our online returns form which can be downloaded from the My Account section of the Site or by calling Our Customer Services Team.
Email at Online.email@example.com Phone 0800 028 5005 Post CHANEL Client Care Department, CHANEL LTD 5 Queensway, Croydon CR9 4DL
The model cancellation form by following this link. If you use this option, We will communicate to you an acknowledgment of receipt of such a withdrawal on a durable medium (e.g. by email) without delay
- 7.2.3 You have taken reasonable care of the Product prior to return. In particular this means that you should not have used the Product and any tags, labels or protective packaging should not have been removed.
- 7.2.4 You return the Product to Us without undue delay and in any event within 14 days of informing Us of your decision to cancel.
- 7.2.5 You return the Product in suitable packaging to ensure it reaches Us in good condition. In order to ensure the Product reaches us in good condition in accordance with these Terms We recommend you use the original packaging you received the Product in to return it to Us.
7.3 Faulty Products.
Any Product We send you should meet its description on the Site and be fit for purpose. If however a Product is faulty or does not meet the description given on the Site at the time you placed your Order, please contact Our Client Service Team as soon as possible on Online.firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 028 5005 with your Order number.
For faulty Products, please return these to Us at CHANEL Client Care Department, CHANEL LTD 5 Queensway, Croydon CR9 4DL. Following receipt, We will refund the purchase price, delivery charge and any reasonable shipping costs you incur in returning the Product to Us. Please note that this does not include any costs incurred by you in returning the Products in person.
7.4 Returning the Product(s).
We recommend that the Products are returned to Us using one of the methods described below:
- 7.4.1 By post to CHANEL LTD 5 Queensway, Croydon CR9 4DL along with the Return Form provided in the delivery package
- 7.4.2 In store at one of the following boutiques: CHANEL stand-alone Fragrance & Beauty boutique at Covent Garden, CHANEL stand-alone Fragrance & Beauty boutique at Old Spitalfields Market or CHANEL stand-alone Fragrance & Beauty boutique at St Pancras International Station.
Please note that returns will not be accepted at any other retail outlet that sells CHANEL products.
7.5 For your convenience, where you are returning the Products by post, CHANEL provides a prepaid returns label in the package that enables returns of the Product(s) at no cost (the Prepaid Label). Please append the Prepaid Label to the package and then deposit it in a DPD approved location from the following list. Unless you are returning faulty Products, when returning Products, if you choose not to use the Prepaid Label or choose to return the Products in person, you will be responsible for the costs of returning the Products to Us.
7.6 Effects of cancellation
If you cancel your Order in accordance with paragraph 7.2, We will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (except for the supplementary costs arising if you chose a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by Us or in the event you chose to keep one or more items from your Order).
We will make the reimbursement without undue delay and not later than:
- (a) 14 days after the day We receive back from you any Products supplied, or
- (b) (if earlier) 14 days after the day you provide satisfactory evidence that you have returned the goods.
We will make such reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement.
7.7 Products which may not be returned
Please note that, unless they are faulty, you do not have the right to return Products which are sealed for health protection or hygiene reasons where their packaging is unsealed or any protective strip has been removed or damaged. This means that it will not be possible for Us to accept the return of any fragrance or other Product where the cellophane has been unsealed or other protective seal has been removed.
8.1 We accept liability for death or personal injury caused by Our negligence or that of Our employees and agents. We do not seek to exclude liability for fraudulent misrepresentation by Us or Our employees or agents.
8.2 You have certain rights under the law. These include that We have the right to supply the Product to you and that any Products supplied by Us will be of satisfactory quality and as described. You have certain legal remedies if we breach any of these rights. Nothing in these Terms is intended to affect these legal rights or other rights to which you may also be entitled, for example to damages or specific performance.
8.3 If We breach these Terms We shall only be liable for losses which are a reasonably foreseeable consequence of such a breach, up to a maximum of the greater of £100 or the total value of the Order. Losses are foreseeable where they could be contemplated by you and Us at the time of entering into this Agreement.
8.4 We are not responsible for:
- 8.4.1 losses not caused by Our fault;
- 8.4.2 losses which are a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not reasonably foreseeable by you and Us at the time of entering into this Agreement, for example loss of profits or loss of opportunity;
9.1 If you breach these Terms and We take no action against you, We will still be entitled to use Our rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these Terms.
9.2 If any part of these Terms is disallowed or found to be ineffective by any court or regulator, the other provisions shall continue to apply.
9.3 These Terms are not intended to give rights to anyone except you and Us.
9.4 Complaints and disputes
9.5 We will do Our best to resolve any disputes in relation to these Terms. If you wish to take court proceedings against Us you must do so within the United Kingdom. If you live in England or Wales the laws of England and Wales will apply and if you live in Scotland, Scottish law will apply.
9.6 If We are unable to resolve any disputes between Us about this Agreement you have the right to refer the dispute to the EU’s Online Dispute Resolution platform.
If you use the “Click to Call” or “Click to Chat” service, we’ll also collect your name and phone number and/or email address, if you choose to provide it. Your name and personal information will be used solely for the purpose of providing the “Click to Call” or “Click to Chat” service.
By using the CHANEL Online Boutique and “Click to Call” or “Click to Chat” services, you give your express consent to the processing of your data by CHANEL, under these Terms and for the purposes described above. The data collected by CHANEL in the context of the “Click to Call” or “Click to Chat” services shall not be used by CHANEL or its service providers other than in order to provide you with the services described above.
12.1 Attendance to the Chanel London Studio
12.1.1 Late Arrival
Workshops start promptly at the time indicated in the confirmation of your booking. In order to minimise disruption to the learning environment, late admission will be at the discretion of the CHANEL Manager. You may be able to defer your booking to another date, availability permitting. This will be at the discretion of the CHANEL Manager.
For one to one appointments, please contact the CHANEL London Studio as far in advance as possible if you anticipate arriving late for your appointment. Any late arrivals for appointments will be at the discretion of the CHANEL Manager.
12.1.2 Unforeseen Circumstances
On rare occasions, we may need to cancel a workshop due to unforeseen circumstances. We will provide you with as much notice as possible when this happens and you will be offered the choice of an alternative workshop or a complimentary Full Makeup Experience (subject to availability). For a full list of workshops, please visit either location on www.chanellondonstudio.co.uk/harrods/bookings or www.chanellondonstudio.co.uk/spitalfields/bookings
12.1.3 Cancelling/Amending a Workshop Space in Old Spitalfields Market
Please contact the CHANEL London Studio x Old Spitalfields Market on 020 7247 5513 in the first instance if you need to cancel or amend your one to one appointment or workshop space, or for online booked workshop events, please following the link in your confirmation email.
12.1.4 Cancelling/Amending a Workshop Space in Harrods
Please contact the CHANEL London Studio on 0203 036 6242 in the first instance if you need to cancel or amend your one to one appointment or workshop space, or for online booked workshop events, please following the link in your confirmation email.
12.2 Attendance to the Chanel School of Makeup
12.2.1 Deferral Policy
In the event that you are unable to attend a class for which you have paid in full, CHANEL will permit one date change to a future date, availability permitting. Seven days’ notice must be given. Notice of less than seven days will be classified as non-attendance, and no amendments to the booking will be accepted.
Please note you can only amend a booking for the same class, changing date and time, with the same number of attendees. If you wish to reduce or increase the number of attendees, you will need to cancel and rebook the event.
12.2.2 Late Arrival
Classes start promptly at the time indicated in the confirmation email of your booking. In order to minimise disruption to the learning environment, late admission will be at the discretion of the supervising Manager. In the event that late admission is not permitted, no refund will be given. You may be able to defer your booking to another date, availability permitting. This will be at the discretion of the CHANEL Manager.
Refunds will not be given in the event of non-attendance. Please see Cancellation Policy below.
12.2.4 Unforeseen Circumstances
On rare occasion, we may need to cancel a Studio Masterclass due to unforeseen circumstances. We will provide you with as much notice as possible when this happens and you will be offered the choice of a transfer to another course date (must be the same course or of equal value), or a full refund. For a full list of Studio Masterclasses, please go to www.chanellondonstudio.co.uk/harrods/bookings.
12.3 Payment Terms
12.3.1 Full payment is required at the time of making a booking with the CHANEL School of Makeup. All course fees are inclusive of VAT where applicable.
12.3.2 You can make all Studio Masterclass bookings online at www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/c/experience-chanel/school-of-makeup.html, in person at Chanel London Studio x Harrods – 5th Floor Harrods or by telephone on 0203 036 6242.
12.3.3 Bookings can be made up to 12 hours in advance of the class start time.
12.3.4 Please note we accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express.
12.4 Cancellation and Refund Policy
12.4.1 A full refund will be given if you cancel at least seven days prior to your Studio Masterclass. Should you need to cancel your booking, please contact CHANEL Client Care Service on 0800 028 5005 or follow the link in your confirmation email.
12.4.2 A full refund will also be given in the event of Unforeseen Circumstances as set out in clause 2.4 above. Should you choose to have a refund rather than transfer to another course, the refund will be credited to your original payment method within 3-5 days of your cancellation. Please note that some banks may take longer to credit your account.
12.4.3 No part refunds will be given for any events.
Refunds will not be given under any other circumstances.
12.5 Data Protection and Privacy
12.6.1 Any clients under the age of 16 must be accompanied to the CHANEL School of Makeup by a parent, guardian or adult aged 18 or over. Failure to comply with this obligation will result in the client being refused entry to the Studio Masterclass. No refund will be given. You may be able to defer your booking to another date, availability permitting. This will be at the discretion of the CHANEL Manager.
12.6.2 You must inform us if you have any sensitivities, allergies and medical conditions. Chanel may be unable to carry out certain services if you are suffering from any skin conditions, are taking certain medications, or have had recent tattoos or piercings. If any service is found to be unsuitable, Chanel will recommend an alternative where possible and subject to availability. Chanel will not be held liable for any losses or damage that is incurred due to your failure to inform Chanel of any known allergy or condition.
CHANEL was established in Paris 1909 by Mademoiselle Chanel as a luxury brand selling luxury fashion. CHANEL is an independent company that creates, markets, distributes and sells luxury Fragrances & Beauty, Fashion (including Haute Couture, Accessories and Eyewear) and Watches & Fine Jewellery products. Today, the house of CHANEL operates across 70 countries worldwide,
CHANEL is dedicated to creating innovative and desirable products of the highest quality and finest craftsmanship. We invest in the excellence of our products and favour a long-term vision to ensure the longevity of the brand. A large proportion of our products are manufactured at inhouse facilities in France as well as with select third party partners. Our supply base is split between what we term direct procurement (e.g. finished goods, componentry and raw materials) and indirect procurement (e.g. sales, promotional and marketing materials such as shopping bags and displays etc). Of these suppliers, over 1400 supply chain partners are for our Fashion activity, 67% of which supply finished goods. The majority is based in Europe (France and Italy). Our Fragrances & Beauty activity has over 700 suppliers, 69% of which provide raw materials. 27% of these partners supply natural raw materials of strategic importance for the brand, giving us direct access to the source of origin. Our Watches & Fine Jewellery activity has more than 150 suppliers, supplying gold, diamonds, and other precious stones. For indirect procurement of non-product items related to the customer experience, we have over 670 suppliers.
CHANEL is strongly committed to conducting its business in compliance with all applicable labour and employment-related laws, rules and regulations of every location in which we do business and across our supply chain, including, but not limited to, laws, rules and regulations relating to wages and hours worked, equal employment opportunity, discrimination, immigration and work authorisation, privacy, collective bargaining, and child, prison and forced labour. Our internal code of conduct Ethics@Chanel, provides the global ethical principles for all CHANEL employees which reflect our core values and expectations.
Our approach to partnering with suppliers is governed by our Responsible Sourcing Policy. Reflecting our internal code of conduct, this policy sets out our expectations and requirements regarding issues such as forced and slave labour, human rights, the environment, and anticorruption. We carefully select our suppliers and business partners and maintain business relationships with those that share our commitment to high ethical standards. CHANEL expects its suppliers and business partners to comply with applicable laws, rules and regulations as well as our Responsible Sourcing Policy.
CHANEL’s Responsible Sourcing Policy focuses on continuous improvement of our suppliers’ processes in connection with the audits that are performed and specifically requires our partners to comply with all internal obligations and principles relating to Human Rights, whilst also referencing International Labour Organization core conventions governing forced and slave labour. Ongoing support is provided to suppliers from trained professionals in our procurement teams. CHANEL’s Responsible Sourcing Policy’s principles have been rolled out across all activities and regions in 2018 including Fragrances & Beauty, Watches & Fine Jewellery and Fashion.
Chanel’s commitment to ensuring the third parties we work with adhere to all applicable labour and employment-related laws has been further strengthened by the roll out of contractual clauses as part of our procurement process requiring all third parties we engage comply with all relevant laws relating to forced labour, health & safety, bribery and corruption and environmental and requiring that all of its relevant staff have received appropriate training on this.
Our approach to risk assessment is underpinned by a three-step process:
- First, all suppliers are assessed according to criteria relating to the state of the business relationship (purchasing volumes, dependency), social and environmental issues associated with the value-adding activity undertaken by the supplier, and potential reputational risks for the brand, in particular with regard to their dependencies on the brand as a major buyer. This exercise is conducted on an ongoing basis with the procurement teams and requires, at a minimum, tracing the value-adding activity back to the last transformation stage. As outlined below we work to mitigate and manage risk wherever it occurs.
- Second, to better understand supplier management of social and environmental risks at a more granular level for the Fragrances & Beauty activity, suppliers are requested to selfassess against CHANEL’s in-house standards using an online tool called the SEP (Sustainability Excellence Program). The SEP was first developed in 2012 in line with international norms, guidelines and principles, including the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains, and is submitted to external experts for critical review to ensure it covers all relevant issues, and continues to set a high level of what CHANEL expects from its suppliers. This CHANEL meta-tool has been designed to be both holistic (covering social, environmental, governance and ethics topics) and exemplary – establishing a high bar for the rest of the industry in relation to supplier performance on these issues.
Finally, based on the results from the first two steps, CHANEL's internal auditors plan and implement in-person audits on an annual basis. The total number of audited sites over the past 7 years is detailed below.
In 2018, 263 audits were conducted as follows: 160 audits for the Fashion activity, 51 audits for the Fragrance & Beauty activity, 1 audit for the Watches & Fine Jewellery activity and 51 audits for Indirect Procurement.
Since the development of the SEP methodology in 2012, 685 audits have been performed.
SEP audit results cover 4 categories for which a specific score is calculated. The categories are as follows:
- Ethics: regulatory aspects, anti-corruption policies and intellectual property.
- Health & Safety: employee well-being and safe working conditions.
- Social: regulatory aspects such as wages and insurance, equality policies.
- Planet: risk of environmental pollution in the water, air or soil, waste management, biodiversity impacts.
Where audits have raised concerns that a third party supplier does not fully comply with applicable laws relating to forced labour or health & safety we have immediately stopped working with these suppliers.
In addition to our risk analysis at the corporate level, CHANEL has commissioned independent third parties to conduct in-depth human rights impact assessments at the source of our raw material supply chains, when actual and potential risks have been identified.
For example, in India and Madagascar, impact assessments consisted of on-site visits and qualitative interviews with farmers, suppliers, local stakeholders and other rights holders, to better understand the scale of the risk, its potential severity, remediability, and the leverage for CHANEL to influence it. Human rights impacts are also systematically assessed on site by our responsible sourcing teams before and during the implementation of supply chain reinforcement projects, at the source of our key raw materials supply chains located around the world.
We seek ongoing dialogue with stakeholders and experts to help guide us and support us in our human rights approach. CHANEL is a member of Shift’s Business Learning Programme (BLP). Shift, a leading centre of expertise on the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, advises and supports individual companies through the BLP, across different industries and regions, on implementation of the UN Guiding Principles, and develops shared learning to support improved business practices with regard to human rights globally. Based on CHANEL’s work with Shift to date, certain raw material supply chains, including mica, gold, and precious stones, have been prioritised as representing a potential risk for rights holders. These raw materials will continue to be a focus for our supply chain responsibility efforts going forward through direct interventions and through our ongoing participation in multi-industry collaborative initiatives, including the Responsible Mica Initiative and the Responsible Jewellery Council (“RJC”) (CHANEL is certified by the RJC and complies with the ethical principles of the RJC, including the Kimberley process for diamonds).
In addition to our approach to risk assessment outlined above, our due diligence process consists of the following steps:
- Continuing to roll out of the Responsible Sourcing Policy across all activities and regions with education and training of the procurement teams on an ongoing basis.
- The creation of a dedicated Responsible Sourcing Expert Team at corporate level in January 2018, the mission of which is to define and update the responsible sourcing guidelines for the company and to ensure coherence in the implementation of our responsible sourcing strategy. Globally we have 4 internal and 16 externals, fully dedicated, trained and qualified to perform SEP audits.
- Sharing knowledge and best practice across the three business activities and regions through our Responsible Sourcing Standards Committee to ensure consistency and coherence in our approach to supplier due diligence, risk assessment, monitoring and remediation.
- Sharing ongoing audit plans and results through the SEP Committees at individual activity levels in order to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations and our own internal policies relating to the prevention of human rights violations. The SEP audit results are then integrated in follow up actions and endorsed by senior management. Such results are monitored on an ongoing basis.
CHANEL’s commitment to compliance with applicable laws and in particular labour laws and the prohibition of the use of forced labour is an ongoing process. The steps described above form part of a long-term programme to tackle all of the risks encountered in our supply chain, including the issue of forced labour. We recognise that the complexity of our global supply chain will require our ongoing commitment to continually monitor and find ways to improve our responsible sourcing practices in order to achieve this long-term goal.
In addition, as part of our responsible and sustainable sourcing approach we are and will be working on:
- improved traceability for all of our strategic raw materials
- greater collaboration with all of our suppliers and other stakeholders to address issues along the supply chain
- roll out of global risk assessments for all purchasing categories including developing tools for the procurement team to assess the risk for new suppliers
- ongoing remediation efforts to address risks where found
- implementation of an enterprise-wide non-financial reporting system to facilitate reporting of aggregate results which touch on these issues
- ongoing training of our employees to raise awareness of such issues through Ethics@Chanel training sessions globally.
- continue to roll out contractual clauses as part of our updated procurement process.
Approved by the Board of Directors of Chanel Limited on 14 June 2019 and signed on its behalf by:
Chanel is one of the world's leading designers, developers, manufacturers, and marketers of luxury fragrance and beauty, fashion, watch and fine jewellery products. Chanel is known for its original and sophisticated designs and commitment to quality in everything that it does. Chanel's fragrance and beauty products are sold mainly in high-end department and specialty stores and other carefully selected points of sale operated primarily by third parties. Its fashion, watch and fine jewellery products are sold mostly in Chanel-owned or operated boutiques, but also in a limited number of department stores, watch specialists and fine jewellers. Paying the right amount of taxes, in the right places, at the right times, is core for Chanel and its commitment to being a responsible business.
The following tax strategy is applicable for the financial year ending 31 December 2019 and is also applicable to all of Chanel Limited’s UK subsidiaries.
Chanel’s tax strategy is compliance-based; its strategy is to account for tax on an accurate and timely basis and to pay taxes within the due dates. Compliance for Chanel also means disclosing all relevant facts and circumstances to the tax authorities, and claiming reliefs and incentives where available.
When considering the structure of its business activities, Chanel takes into account consideration of the UK’s tax laws when looking to maximise value on a sustainable basis for shareholders. Chanel does not put into place any schemes, arrangements or tax planning that could be perceived as being contrived or artificial in nature. Given the peculiarities of its business and the volume of tax obligations, Chanel is inevitably exposed to tax uncertainties, which Chanel actively seeks to identify, evaluate, monitor and manage. Where there is significant complexity in relation to a tax issue, Chanel seeks external, expert advice.
Chanel is committed to the principles of openness and transparency in its approach to dealing with HMRC, with the objective of minimizing tax uncertainties. Chanel does not take positions on tax matters that may create reputational risk or jeopardise its good standing with the UK tax authority. However, Chanel is, if necessary, prepared to defend its positions where it disagrees with a ruling or decision of a tax authority, having always first sought to resolve the disputed matter through active and transparent discussions.
This document, approved by the Board of Directors of Chanel Limited, Croydon Logistics Limited and Trochair Limited, sets out Chanel’s policy and approach to conducting its tax affairs and dealing with tax risk, and is made available to all of Chanel’s stakeholders. The Finance and Legal teams will periodically review this document and the Board of Directors of Chanel Limited will approve any amendments to it. This tax policy is aligned with “Ethics at Chanel” (Chanel’s Global Code of Conduct). Its publication is regarded as satisfying the statutory obligation under Part 2, Schedule 19, Finance Act 2016.
Under the Equality Act 2010 (Gender Pay Gap Information) Regulations 2017, all companies with 250 or more employees are required to annually report their Gender Pay Gap based on calculations of the difference between the average earnings of men and women. Our statement sets out the information in relation to Chanel Limited and our continued commitment to equality at CHANEL.